We would like to warn everyone to remain vigilant for scams related to coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19). Cyber criminals may send phishing emails with malicious attachments or links to fraudulent websites to trick victims into revealing sensitive information or donating to fraudulent charities or causes. Exercise caution in handling any email with a COVID-19-related subject line, attachment or hyperlink, and be wary of social media pleas, texts or calls related to COVID-19.
We encourage individuals to remain vigilant and take the following precautions:
- Avoid clicking on links in unsolicited emails and be wary of email attachments
- Use trusted sources—such as legitimate, government websites—for up-to-date, fact-based information about COVID-19
- Do not reveal personal or financial information in email, and do not respond to email solicitations for this information
- Verify a charity’s authenticity before making donations. Review the Federal Trade Commission’s page on Charity Scams for more information
- Check for recently reported email scams at https://security.uchicago.edu/phishing/latest/. If you receive a phishing email report it to email@example.com
Please continue to visit https://coronavirusupdates.uchicago.edu for all university communications.
University of Chicago Coronavirus Updates
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization
Coronavirus Scams – What the FTC is doing
How to Donate Wisely and Avoid Charity Scams
United States Secret Service Coronavirus Phishing Alert